[Pharo-dev] Should we always put application file paths into FileLocator?

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Tue Oct 3 10:02:02 EDT 2017

Guillermo Polito wrote
> But the packaging is not an issue. I think Denis proposed to put such
> methods as extension methods. So they will belong to the correct package.
> Isn't it?

The obvious counter example can be had by browsing Object.
Are the methods properly packaged? Yes. (As were Settings)
Is it likely to cause problems due to missing dependencies? No.
Is it a good OO pattern that should be should encouraged widespread use of?
IMHO, no, not if there are other options. (Separations of concern, and all
that)

(AFAICT, the role of FileLocator, is to resolve symbolic path elements at
runtime, not be a dictionary of all paths used by the base system/packages.
For that, I'd inspect Path allSubinstances + some source string searches if
I needed to find where they were defined.).

Cheers,
Henry