[Pharo-dev] Should we always put application file paths into FileLocator?

Denis Kudriashov dionisiydk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 09:08:12 EDT 2017

Hi Henrik.

henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no>:

> -1 from me, for the same reasons we moved away from Framework Settings as
> extension methods on a central "Settings" class.

I think the reason was not only this.
In most cases settings affect class variables which provide default values
for instances. So it is just suitable to define settings in same place
where state is defined.
Also it not breaks encapsulation.

And in case of FileLocator it will not access anybody state. It is about
constant file paths.

> Keep "globals" related to a package local to the package where they are
> used.

I just want practical solution. Now there are no tools to browse what files
are used by applications. And simple convention could be good enough.