[Pharo-dev] clarifying pharo crashing issue(s)

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 04:05:56 EST 2017

> Hi,
>
> There are recurrent reports that Pharo is crashing often.
>
> However, at the moment I believe the reasons are not clarified. So, this
> mail is not about fixing the issues, but first about clarifying what they
> are.
>
> Namely:
>
> - I know about the typing problem on MacOS (Sierra or High Sierra). I
> encounter this problem daily (literally), and I know that I am not the only
> one. For example, this can occur when I type “classs” fast and then delete
> the last character. It is documented here:
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/141
>
> - Some people talk about the FreeType problem, but I could not find a
> place where this is described. So, while this might be a problem, I am not
> sure that this problem is actually causing crashes.

Hi Tudor,
I did not experience directly the FreeType related crash, but here is an
analysis of what could potentially happen, a cairo_font_face still pointing
on a FreeType FT_Face that has already been freed (dangling pointer...).

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20776/Potential-dangling-ref-to-freed-FT_Face

I started to inquire this after an unrelated libgit crash and reported in
the thread
"[Pharo-dev] ExternalAddress uniqueness (was Re: Call for help for
stability and rewrite of FreeType)"

So, first question: