[Pharo-dev] nil inspect

Dimitris Chloupis kilon.alios at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 05:14:15 EST 2017

looks like wikipedia agrees with me, but I have to confess never looked at
the Pharo implementation so I may still be wrong

"*Smalltalk-80* syntax is rather minimalist, based on only a handful of
declarations and reserved words. In fact, only six "keywords" are reserved
in Smalltalk: true, false, nil, self, super, and thisContext. These are
actually called *pseudo-variables*, identifiers that follow the rules for
variable identifiers but denote bindings that the programmer cannot change.
The true, false, and nil pseudo-variables are singleton
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singleton_pattern> instances. self and
super refer
to the receiver of a message within a method activated in response to that
message, but sends to super are looked up in the superclass of the method's
defining class rather than the class of the receiver, which allows methods
in subclasses to invoke methods of the same name in superclasses.
thisContext refers to the current activation record. The only built-in
language constructs are message sends, assignment, method return and
literal syntax for some objects. From its origins as a language for
children of all ages, standard Smalltalk syntax uses punctuation in a
manner more like English than mainstream coding languages. The remainder of
the language, including control structures for conditional evaluation and
iteration, is implemented on top of the built-in constructs by the standard
Smalltalk class library. (For performance reasons, implementations may
recognize and treat as special some of those messages; however, this is
only an optimization and is not hardwired into the language syntax.)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk

Or maybe there is more here tha meets the eye ?