[Pharo-dev] Pharo Filter usability due to same background as List (Iceberg)

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Nov 21 15:38:37 EST 2017

Hi,

I do not know if this is only an issue of Iceberg or of the themes in general:

Due to the topic of todays techtalk I added "DiscordSt" repository to
Iceberg leading to the attached screenshot.

I wondered why there are only 7 packages while I was pretty sure that there
were more packages in the GitHub page of the repo.

So it LOOKED LIKE THE LIST ENDED/ONLY HAS A FEW ITEMS because the filter is
displayed right at the bottom of the list.

You can call me stupid - but I initially thought of an Iceberg synch
synch issue were some packages were not downloaded/cloned - but then after several seconds
I realized that the list just ends because of the filter area and there are more
items - one just has to scroll.

This is OK but I interpreted the white area of the filter as there is no further list item
instead of realizing the filter possibility itself.

Maybe I'm the only one but: as the (package) list background is white and the filter
background is white too this is hardly to distinguish. Also the placeholder "Filter"
is centered instead of right aligned ...

So depending on windows size it is displayed in a wider distance to the list item text
and one does not notice that the white area is a filter.

I guess a small thin line to separate the filter widget from the list
part of the widget would solve the issue. Would that be possible? If so is this only
an issue of Iceberg or the Pharo theme in general?

Also I wonder: the "Filter ..." placeholder label is centered in the middle. If one
clicks into the filter the "Filter..." placeholder surprisingly jumps to the left.

I guess we have to catch up more with the usability of our tools.

Thanks
T.