[Pharo-dev] Is fileout on the change sorter working in Pharo 70?

Guillermo Polito guillermopolito at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 04:50:39 EST 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisiydk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi

>> It looks like the problem is here but I cannot find it.
>>
>> CodeExporter>> writeSourceCodeFrom: aStream baseName: baseName isSt:
>> stOrCsFlag
>>
>> | extension fileName  outputStream |
>> self halt.
>> extension := stOrCsFlag ifTrue: ['.st']  ifFalse: ['.cs'].
>> fileName := baseName, extension.
>> fileName := FileSystem disk checkName: fileName fixErrors: true.
>> outputStream := (File named: fileName) writeStream.
>> (ZnCrPortableWriteStream on: (ZnCharacterWriteStream
>> on: outputStream
>> encoding: 'utf8')) nextPutAll: aStream contents.
>>
>> outputStream close.
>>
>> self inform: 'Filed out to: ', String cr, fileName.
>

> Try rewrite code to FileSystem. I think we should never use File directly:
>
> extension := stOrCsFlag ifTrue: ['st']  ifFalse: ['cs'].
> FileLocator home / baseName , extension writeStreamDo: [:s |
>
> (ZnCrPortableWriteStream on: (ZnCharacterWriteStream
>
> on: s
>
> encoding: 'utf8')) nextPutAll: aStream contents].
>
> We should choose what to use instead of #home in that case.

I just discussed a point with Denis, just replicating it here.

We should not **blindly** rewrite everything to use FileSystem. Because
that may break dependencies in the system.
For example, CodeExporter is used by Monticello.

Should monticello depend on FileSystem or not?

I'm not saying monticello should or should not depend on it. Just saying
that we should ask ourselves the question :)

> I wondering does File is actually used by FileSystem?

It will ;)

> Should not we remove it from system?

No! File is exactly the low level File representation, that FileSystem
should use.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer