[Pharo-dev] [IMPORTANT] Is there a bug in Tonel with category:

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 19:21:58 EST 2017

> On 11/08/2017 01:15 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
>> What is the opinion of the original Tonel designers ?
>>

> Well, Esteban did the largest part of the work, but I guess I am *one* of
> the original designers, in that various design proposals were floated back
> and forth, starting with one of mine and ending with Tonel.
>
> My intent is that Tonel, as a declarative cross-platform format, should
> use strings exclusively, never Symbols. I *think* I discussed this with
> Esteban during ESUG, and I *think* he agreed, so it seems likely that the
> current behavior with class definitions is unintentional.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Martin
>

> Ah you remind me there's one thing I don't like in this format:
Tonel must be aware of all possible syntax tricks in order to parse the
method body...
And that ain't easy

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20659/Tonel-parser-is-broken-by-literal-array-with-square-bracket

I found that while accidentally reading the code due to

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20652/Iceberg-branch-compare-bug