[Pharo-dev] memoized vs once

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Jan 25 17:45:54 EST 2017

Hi,

>From my perspective:

- I agree with Igor that "once" can be interpreted as "evaluate it only once" as in
  "Halt once".

- I'm not sure but from the (now very distributed) discussion it is not clear to me if
  the #once mentioned by Eliot really has exactly the same behavior as #memoized in Pharo.

  Does it also  return a block that is caching the results and avoids a second evalution
  of the original block when having similar inputs? Also is there a similar possibility
  to give an own cache as in #memoizedUsing: for further tuning?

- #memoizing is really not well explaining what it does but this seems to be the official
  term (also in other languages like Python, Java, JS, ...): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoization

- maybe #withMemo(r)izingResults or #withCachingResults, #withReusedResults, ... or something along that line
  would be more intention revealing selectors

Side note:
=========
- For license reason it would not make much sense to look into non-open Smalltalks
- I have no idea about the VW version (and for obvious reasons dont want to have a look)
- also dont know about other dialects if they have built in support for memoization but it would be
  good if Squeak, Pharo, Cuis, ... could align for such a case
- IMHO if #once and Pharos #memoization really have the same behavior then compatibility for VW users
  could be easily retained by adding #once to existing compatibility layers (like "Grease")

Bye
T.