[Pharo-dev] Initial Feedback on Pharo 7 contribution process

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Thu Aug 17 04:44:24 EDT 2017

Hi,

even when contributing to Pharo 7.0 is still very very cumbersome I was able
to sort out most of the problems and contribute already a few smaller things.

Unfortunately there is not much communication on what is currently in the pipe
or planned on easing the process - which can easily lead to the impression
that we do not really move or slow us down.

I know step by step it goes and at least we have again the build process rolling
https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/pharo-70-is-starting-to-roll-for-real/

Nonetheless one of my PRs was already integrated and the integration of my WebBrowser
package is still in the pipe (https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/193)

The descriptions from Guille helped me - but there are still things I need
answers to:

 1. Will or is it still possible to automatically update" an image in Pharo 7
    or in the future?
    The World menu entry "System" -> "System update" has been removed?

    Is this temporary of will it return once we know how it could be done again?

 2. In latest Pharo 7.0 image there is a glitch that a method category
    has a typo in class "HEBinaryReaderWriter" and is "writting" instead of
    "writing".

    Lets assume I want to fix such a simple problem. But Hermes was an external package managed on GitHub.
    And it is now part of the image and therefore also in the "pharo" repo on GitHub. So how is it
    maintainted/managed with the new process?

    So do I fix this as a regular PR for Pharo 7 https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo
    or should it be fixed in the original repo https://github.com/tesonep/hermes
    and Hermes is synched from time to time into or from Pharo.

 3. What still hit me most is that it is hard to identify the images and find out
    how "new" they are.

    Example: In Guilles example https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
             it is written that one should use

                  wget -O - get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash

     This gives me an image file called "Pharo.image" and after a few days I do not know how
     old it is or what it was built from.

     When I start the image and look into the about box it gives me

         Pharo 7.0
         Latest update: #0

     telling me nothing and when I run

         SystemVersion current

     it says "Pharo7.0SNAPSHOT of 16 August 2017 update 0" which is also very useless.

     Both do not tell me anything about the build number!!! I can only guess the git commit from the name
     of the sources file:

       Pharo7.0-32bit-c28bff9.sources

     When I check https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/commits/development with "c28bff9" then at least
     I have an idea how old it is.

Especially the last topic is a pain point and the most pressuring to be discussed - without a clear image build number
in the version/about box nobody is able to reproduce in which image one run into trouble or he is basing his work on.

I know during transition time we need more patience and things will get more stable and we make progress over
time. But I whised we would have more communication on the overall topic (current work, plans, ...) on this list here.
I have no idea who is working on what already regarding making the process more easier.

Thanks for any comments or own feedback you can share.

Regards
T.