[Pharo-dev] Reordering working directory mess

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Jun 23 22:03:41 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 4:21 AM, Nicolas Anquetil <nicolas.anquetil at inria.fr
> wrote:

> and why not put Pharo.changes in ./pharo while we are at it ?
> too difficult?

The same thought crossed my mind for a moment, but the two files are
*tightly* coupled.  If the .changes file wasn't sitting there right next to
the .image file, many newcomers will forget to copy them together - and
even for the rest of us, its more pain to select two files in different
directories and copy them to two other directories, than if they are
together.

cheers -ben

> nicolas
>

> On 23/06/2016 22:18, stepharo wrote:
>
>> What is the difference between play-cache play-stash
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> Le 23/6/16 à 17:22, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Since some time I’ve seen growing the amount of files/directories
>>> generated when running Pharo. Up to Pharo 2.0, we had just this:
>>>
>>> Pharo.image
>>> Pharo.changes
>>> PharoDebug.log
>>> pharo-cache
>>>
>>> now we have:
>>>
>>> Pharo.image
>>> Pharo.changes
>>> PharoDebug.log
>>> pharo-cache
>>> epicea-sessions
>>> play-cache
>>> play-stash
>>>
>>> it does not looks like much, but I think this does not looks
>>> professional (we take too much from user space). So I proposed (and
>>> implemented) a “concentrator” directory:
>>>
>>> Pharo.image
>>> Pharo.changes
>>> ./pharo
>>>     … and everything for “pharo working internally” here
>>>
>>> then users have again control about what they have along with the image
>>> (this allows to some nice strategies too, when we want a version that does
>>> not pollutes the file dir).
>>>
>>> of course, this idea follows other developing spaces, where things are
>>> stored in same fashion way… for example in eclipse for java they store all
>>> eclipse data under .workspace directory.
>>>
>>> so, please note that this is NOT user space… regular pharo users will
>>> store his files along with the image, for instance filetree repositories…
>>> something like:
>>>
>>> Pharo.image
>>> Pharo.changes
>>> .pharo/