[Pharo-dev] bloc status update: june 2016

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Tue Jun 21 21:22:32 EDT 2016

Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> Here is a brief update on the status of Bloc.

Thanks!

Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> your feedback is important

As we've imagined and experimented with the UI of our future, I've felt very
strongly that it's essential for the world to be built up from building
blocks which make few assumptions other than their communication protocol
and can be easily plugged in and out by a courageous user.

A test case for this, which opens up many exciting possibilities (imagine I
want to control time in my space e.g. run a simulation at 10x speed...),
would be to have a world within a world. I dabbled with this idea a bit in
Morphic, but quickly became frustrated because Morphic makes too many
assumptions e.g. relying on globals and hardcoded classes.

The last time I tried this in Bloc, the result of the discussion was that
Alain said that this should be conceptually possible, but that I should be
patient (http://forum.world.st/Bloc-Space-within-a-Space-td4877474.html).
Are we any closer to this dream?

-----
Cheers,