[Pharo-dev] Pharo vs. Squeak performance

Clément Bera bera.clement at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 03:29:07 EDT 2016

Hello John.

I'm just guessing here. Lacking information. It could be:

Guess 1) the vm versions are different.
What version of Pharo do you use ? (world menu>System>About) Something like:
Pharo6.0
Latest update: #60030
What version of Squeak do you use ? (world menu>Help>About this system)
Something like:
Squeak5.0
latest update: #15792
What vm do you use  in both cases ? What does answer ?
In Pharo: Smalltalk vm version
In Squeak: Smalltalk vmVersion

Guess 2) the machine code zone size are different
Can you try in Squeak:
Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 46
and in Pharo:
Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 46.

Is it the same ?
It's the number of bytes of the machine code zone. If you need performance
and you can afford wasting an extra Mb, you can speed it up by doing:
Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 47 put: ((Smalltalk vm parameterAt: 46) * 2)
And then restarting the image.
Don't grow over 2Mb.

Guess 3) the UI is known to be much slower in Pharo. Can you try headless
or after ticking "Server mode" In the Pharo settings in System.