[Pharo-dev] [Vm-dev] Methods with more than 15 args sketch

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Mon Jun 20 02:30:14 EDT 2016

> On 19 Jun 2016, at 11:35, Tudor Girba <tudor at tudorgirba.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone want to pick this up on the Pharo image side?
>
> I took a brief look at this and while playing I noticed that the errors when we send more than 15 arguments seem a bit strange. Take a look at this snippet:
> http://ws.stfx.eu/958BXP5GR136
> (you can paste it in Spotter to get the playground)
>
> In summary:
> - If we compile a method with a signature containing more than 15 arguments we get:
> 	"SyntaxErrorNotification: Too many arguments’”.
> This is good.
>
> - If we compile a method with a message send containing between 16-31 arguments we get:
> 	"'InMidstOfFileinNotification’”.
> Ok-ish.
>
> - If we compile a method with a message send containing more than 31 arguments we get:
> 	"'Error: genSend:numArgs: numArgs index 32 is out of range 0 to 31’"
> This is wrong.
>

> Did I misunderstand something?

The VM does not support it, and as nobody is using it, the error messages are not that perfect.
(to have them nicer, someone would have seen it and be bothered to fix it…)

What Clement proposes is to implement support for more than 15 arguments in the compiler.
(which means that instead of error messages, it would compile, with the idea as he described
in the mail).

	Marcus