[Pharo-dev] GT-Spotter dive in shortcut

Tudor Girba tudor at tudorgirba.com
Fri Jun 17 12:25:19 EDT 2016

Hi Nicolai,

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 2:59 PM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaihess at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicolai,
>
> I am a bit removed from the code details at the moment, and I think I need to step back a bit :).
>
> If I understand correctly, you are saying that:
> 1. defining bindings with #alt does not work on Windows. This means that we should fix this one. Using Cmd should not be a solution here.
>
> As far as I know, this is on purpose. A key pressed with windows (left) alt modified is mapped to "command"
>
> from vm source:
>
> *    3) The modifier keys are mapped as follows:
> *
> *        Mac    |  Win32
> *       --------------------
> *       Shift   -> Shift
> *       Ctrl    -> Ctrl
> *       Command -> Left ALT
> *       Option  -> Right ALT
>
> (but actually, the right ALT key does not generate any keystrokes (only key down/up) and it is treated as ctrl+alt (windows right Alt key is "Alt Gr”)

Hmm. I think we have to rethink this one because we need two layers of keys:
1. first we should have the raw ones, and
2. another layer that offers a more logical keys (like meta).

What do you think?

>  2. defining the
> bindings for Spotter can indeed be made to override the ones in the text editor if needed. But, I think we can start thinking about using #alt.
>
> using alt+right on windows/linux and
> command + right on mac
> for dive-in or for text navigation?
>
> Is there a default keycombination for word-moving in text components for mac ?

On Mac, typically Alt+Right/Left moves between words.

So, we would need a logical modifier that would mean:
- Mac: Alt
- Win: Ctrl
- Linux: Ctrl

What do you think?