[Pharo-dev] Ask HN: Examples of elegant, non-trivial Smalltalk? | Hacker News

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Fri Jul 29 09:32:33 EDT 2016

> On 29 Jul 2016, at 14:23, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goubier at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> I'd put RB + SmaCC among the lot. But I consider that really non-trivial : the pattern language of RB (and the underlying pattern matching and unification algorithm) is top notch, and how SmaCC builds on RB to virtually generate code / optimise code / then compile is nothing short of amazing.
>
> SmaCC comes with a pattern matching/unification algorithm over ASTs + auto-generation of AST code + visitor + tree equality + the equivalent of Flex/Bison(*) + a GUI in 11401 lines of code.

Well, you don't need to convince me that there is some really magic code out there, thanks for pointing this out. People should really do more effort to promote the stuff they like, by writing some nice accessible article about it. (Hint, hint).

The problem is that even though Smalltalk itself is simple, the whole environment, being super dynamic/flexible, is not. It scares a lot of people that they cannot really grab and hold the code. It is only once you get beyond that initial hurdle (which also requires you to unlearn/learn a new approach), that you can start to explore and appreciate all the good stuff. I am still not sure how we can make this clear to newcomers, but it feels like a critical step.