[Pharo-dev] some questions about current GToolkit issues

Nicolai Hess nicolaihess at web.de
Sat Jul 4 07:48:55 EDT 2015

Thank you Doru

> Hi Nicolai,
>
> Please
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Nicolai Hess <nicolaihess at web.de> wrote:
>
>> 15102 <https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?15102>
>> lost worldmenu
>> Is anyone working on this, it is quite annoying, happens to me a couple
>> of time - per day.
>> Everytime I restart the image to get the menu back. Is there any other
>> way to
>> recreate the worldmenu?
>>

> No, because we do not know how to reproduce it (like the message says). If
> anyone knows how, this would help.
>

>> 15772 <https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?15772>
>> spotter is undebuggable
>> Andrei said on the ML he knows what the problem is. Are you working on
>> this?
>> This makes it difficult to work/analyse other spotter bugs.
>>

> I just added a note in the issue. Please provide a step-by-step situation.

thanks,
done

>> 14569 <https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?14569>
>> GTInspector should do live updates of objects and their slots
>> This was considered a really important issue. Who works on this, any
>> progress?
>>

> We have a solution in the image, but it is not scalable (the rendering was
> just too slow), so it is disabled by default (custom presentations can use
> it if they want).

I know, I can read the bug tracker comments, the question was if this is
going to be solved for the current release - apparently not.

> We are working on this in two ways:
> - a new version of the inspector based on bloc and without glamour. This
> will take a while to finish, but the goal is to make it until Pharo 6.
> - as soon as we can hook on object-specific events we will use that
> mechanism to identify the need for an update

Ok, I see, you alread commented the bug report, thanks!

>> There are some issues tagged for pharo 40. Who will take care of it?
>> Backport the
>> fixes or change the milestone
>>

> As far as I am concerned, we should keep the backporting to critical cases
> only. Right now, I see none of them as being critical.

can you add a note to that issues, or move the milestone, please

>> There are some more issues (for example about the
>> displayString/printString) waiting for
>> some feedback and comments.
>>

> Ok. We will try to go over them.
>

> I wasn't happy with the way spotter & co were pushed into the 4.0 release.
>> To many changes and new features even during code freeze. I do understand
>> that it was important to have this in the release to get feedback.
>> But now I wish more support, we already have too many loose ends,
>> unfinished projects
>> and to few people working on them.
>>

> I do not see the relation between adding spotter and the support.

I meant "some help", feedback on the open issues,anything that shows who is
working on what.
At the moment it looks as if the work had stopped. Some changes (like
settings/menu morph preview)
were added during the code freeze. But they don't work in the release. I
filed a bug report and asked
multiple times - no feedback. Looks like no one cares. The same for a
couple of other issues.

> Please help, and keep up working on this or give some feedback or comment
>> the
>> open issues.
>>

> This is an unfortunate period simply because it is holidays time and there
> are other things that prevented us to work on it.

holidays are ok :) this is the reason I waited so long before asking for
help, but now, after two months of no progress, I just wanted to know.