[Pharo-dev] consideration of Smalltalk "DoIt"

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Tue Jul 15 13:20:52 EDT 2014

Mostly I take for granted that "DoIt" has always been the way to
evaluate things with Smalltalk, however I find it awkward to use in
writing a tutorial.  Some examples...
* After saving, select "Grid new" and "DoIt"  -- this sounds awkward,
and even that you might need select the latter as well.
* After saving, "Grid new" DoIt.  -- doesn't read nice
* After saving, DoIt to "Grid new."  -- worst of all

I'd feel better writing something like this...
* After saving, evaluate "Grid new".
but "evaluate" is not an item in the menus.  I think actually many
people talk this way with the implicit convention that "evaluate" means
"DoIt".

So first, does anyone have a good way to compose sentences using "DoIt".
Second, how evil would it be to change the menus from "DoIt" to
"Evaluate" and so avoid the implicit convention.

cheers -ben