[Pharo-dev] [Pharo-users] PillarHub

J.F. Rick self at je77.com
Wed Jul 2 06:05:27 EDT 2014

Awesome. Not that I have time right now but I have always wanted to bring
Swiki / AniAniWeb into the present. This would be the right foundational
work to make this a useful reality.

On a side note, I apologize for all the bad qualities of Pillar markup.
Back in 1999, I created ComSwiki out of the beginning that was PWS Swiki
(the first wiki to eschew camel case for links). One of the first things I
did was to make changes to the markup to improve it. Of course, once we had
some users and established content, all the decisions I made at that early
point in the project were made permanent. Looking at Pillar, it pretty much
uses the syntax I created back then (with a few improvements). I'm sure the
markup just drifted through the Smalltalk community and was then adopted by
Pillar. It's not a bad design but I've always felt that a better, more
extensible syntax was possible. As usual, the good proved to be the enemy
of the great.

Cheers,

Jeff

--