[Pharo-dev] Questions about Athens

kilon alios kilon.alios at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 13:24:07 EDT 2013

I created a new subject

About the problem to recreate it all it takes is a demo := AthensDemoMorph
new openInWorld . It opens the morph with the Athens grey box, I save the
image , close pharo, open pharo which reloads the image automagically and
BOOM Red Box of Doom :) My other tries also are based on AthensDemoMorph
since I cant find documentation to do things differently.

So lets get to the questions

1) You say you have morphs using Athens that don't have this problem, care
to explain further ?

2) How do I recreate automatically those surfaces ?

3) Do I need to instruct the image on load to reinitialize those objects ?

4) If yes How I do that ?

You say its a major problem but yet its not an Athens bug.  I know this is
has to do with how image saves live objects and that NB calls are not part
of the image hence creating the problem.

5) Are there ways to avoid the problem ?

6) Also why there is a Red Box of Doom in the first place ?

7) Why the debugger is not triggered as it should be ?

8) Is that critical a failure of Morphic ?

9) Why Athens even though is based largely on Cairo , and taking into
consideration the intention to extend to other graphical interfaces, not
following the Cairo design more closely so we can use the Cairo tutorials ?

10) Is the Cairo design so prohibiting / limiting for Athens ? Does Cairo
do things so differently than other vector based libraries ?

11) How important is Athens to Pharo community , meaning further bug fixes,
improvements , tutorials etc ? I hear there is an intention to gradual move
Morphic to it. Is this true ?

I really like Athens, I am asking all these questions because I need to
make a fast decision whether I will continue to use Pharo or not for my
project. Learning OpenGL and using NBOpenGL produced zero results for me. I
was not even able to create a single triangle. My gpu driver because of
Macos gave me close to zero errors, and Red Box of Doom made it impossible
to debug opengl problems. In short close to zero error reporting made it a
no go for me.

So I fall back at much simpler solutions because I want to create my own
GUI API. I see several solutions for this

1) Pharo Athens
2) Amber SVG / WebGL based Vector libs like Pixi /  Athens / HTML5 + CSS
3) Python + PyQT + QT

I rather stay with Pharo. But I already wasted months of doing nothing and
going nowhere with NBOpenGL , I am tried of moving in circles. I am not
frustrated cause I knew when I tried that OpenGL was very hard ( I was
warned by several opengl people ) so failure was always an option , but I
can no longer justify wasting my time getting nowhere.

I dont need much from a graphic lib all I need is

a) Stability . If it crashes regularly its no good

b) Speed, if moving graphic elements around slows down (anything above 20%)
 dual cores , its no good

c) Basic Feature set  like , lines, curves , circles and ellipses , display
of raster graphics, simple animations , import export of graphic formats,
png , jpg and svg is enough.

Looks like Athens satisfies b and c , I am not so sure about a.

I am trying to understand Athens code from reading it, once again I am a
big failure at understanding code.

So is there any hope for someone like me , that he is not a very good
coder, he is new to Pharo and he has a simple mind to use Athens to make a
basic GUI API ?