[Pharo-dev] Formatting dates

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Wed Oct 30 18:11:01 EDT 2013

On 30 Oct 2013, at 22:46, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not a more discriminating example, like '19991231’?

From the class comment:

…
You instanciate me by specifying the textual format by example, based on a #reference timetamp.

Each component of the example representation is numbered from largest to smallest unit, 1=year, 2=month, 3=dayInMonth, 4=hour (16 in 24 hour format), 5=minute and 6=second, as in the ISO representation: 2001-02-03T16:05:06Z which is a Saterday. Example format strings can be found in my class accessing protocol or in the unit tests.
…

But of course, internally there is less magic: it are just specific keys/tokens that are recognised ;-) The example is kind of compiled though to make it more efficient should you reuse the format.