[Pharo-dev] Image Stability

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 11:10:45 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-30, at 16:04, Marcus Denker <marcus.denker at inria.fr> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2013, at 15:09, Camillo Bruni <camillobruni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Failing Tests
>> -------------
>> Seems like our test splitup did not work properly:
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/job/Pharo-3.0/
>>
>> The tests starting with A-L did not run since a while!
>>

> But I always checked and even waited for them to finish.. to me it looked that they where run each time
> I did an update.
>
> I check the tests after every update. A-L have one failing tests, related to Job (which started to fail recently), and that only on Linux.
> Why jenkis shows no test runs I do not know.

humm ok, that makes me even more suspicious :P, because there is not even a history right now :/.
Well, let's wait until the CI infrastructure is back to normal.

>> From what I get quite a bunch of tests are failing.
>>

>> Pending Processes + Default Username
>> ------------------------------------
>> There is a strange amount of processes hanging around in the image.
>> Plus there was a report that a default user name was set in the image (Not sure if that still persists, since I directly set mine with startup preferences).
>> Was a new image version ben uploaded manually?
>>

> I did a manual one  recently (last week?) but I did not set any user name.
> (I wanted to check if the processes are in the image that we download, they are not).

ok, so maybe re-uploading a new image will do the trick?

>> Unstable Image + VM
>> Additionally since a while the image became much more unstable after running the tests
>> twice (I know not a common case, but it should NEVER provoke a VM crash), see here:
>>
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo/view/3.0-Analysis/job/Pharo-3.0-Test-Twice/buildTimeTrend
>>
>> From what I get, ReleaseTest>>testObsoleteBehaviors provokes a VM crash.
>
> It was crashing the Opal Regression tests, too. Last wee I added a #flushCache to the #fixObsoleteReferences
> and that fixed it for the Opal Tests.

Good. Do you think it would make sense to always call #flushCache if you manually trigger the GC?