[Pharo-dev] Issue #11876 (Do not allow shouldnt:raise: Error) and Seaside dev. on Pharo 3.0

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at netcetera.ch
Thu Oct 24 04:47:02 EDT 2013

On 24.10.13 08:05, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2013, at 23:07, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just as info: looks like already fixed Pharo issue #11876 makes problem for Seaside in 3.0:
>>>
>>>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2013-October/005509.html
>>>   http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside-dev/2013-October/005540.html
>>

>> It would be a bit sad that Seaside does not work in Pharo3.0
>> I imagine that Philippe is tired.
>>
>> I would revert the change and add a rule that check that the argument of shouldnt:raise: should not be an Error
>>

> yes, people are not willing to change code all the time…

We are willing to change the code where there is a clear benefit. For
example it's hard to argue that the new filesystem is an improvement
over FileDirectory. We have a partically working Spec based UI for the
servers. We would happily change the walkback to a new context API
should it fix the bugs in the existing one. However this isn't the case
with this change. To sole and only purpose of this change is to break
code. This is what annoys me.

Cheers
Philippe