[Pharo-dev] VM for Athens Graphics

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 15:33:16 EDT 2013

On 23 October 2013 16:04, Henrik Johansen <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no>wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2013, at 1:52 , Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr>
> wrote:
>

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 7:37 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> For the ipad , best would be to implement a quartz backend for athens.
> As a temporary solution we could try to compile cairo library for it, but
> i am not expert in iOS
> to say if it can be done without much fuss.
> Also, since iOS is famous for banning any applications which using
> generated code,
> that means it should be done by writing a VM plugin and then adopting new
> primitives to
> work with Athens API.
>

> Igor it also means that we should find a way to get nativeboost wroking on
> iPad (probably by generating a "DLL" from NB).
>

> There's another reason why Igor said a plugin backend would be the easier
> way, if you were to use NB, you'd also first need to implement AsmJit for
> ARM, as well as an ARM version of the entire NB FFI machinery , which would
> be large efforts in and of themselves.

Well implementing ARM-FFI is largely orthogonal to Athens.
Yes, i am happily using it for Cairo and it lets me customize /rethink
things as they go
without need to touch VM. Which means much faster development process and
feedback etc.
But since Athens API is settled down more or less, now it is quite possible
to implement a plugin
for different backend, knowing that it won't require huge changes later.

Concerning ARM:
 - Damien Pollet works on ARM assembler for ASMJit.
as soon as it working, we can try doing something with it.

But in addition, what i would like to do is to move more towards
platform-neutral FFI implementation,
using low-level assembler DSL which is platform neutral. There's a work
started on it
as part of Mate project, but it is yet far from finished.

Cheers,

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.