[Pharo-dev] VM for Athens Graphics

J.F. Rick self at je77.com
Wed Oct 23 02:12:42 EDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> The latest Pharo vms for all 3 major platforms support Athens with Cairo
> as backend.
> It is our starting point, one day we might choose to have different
> backend(s), like opengl etc.

Excellent. I'm mainly using Linux.

> For the ipad , best would be to implement a quartz backend for athens.
> As a temporary solution we could try to compile cairo library for it, but
> i am not expert in iOS
> to say if it can be done without much fuss.
> Also, since iOS is famous for banning any applications which using
> generated code,
> that means it should be done by writing a VM plugin and then adopting new
> primitives to
> work with Athens API.

While I would love to use such a thing on iOS, I'm afraid that VM making is
beyond me. That said, if somebody does it, I do have a few multi-touch
tools, such as a keyboard, that I'd be willing to port to it.

Increasingly, touch based machines are going to replace mouse based
machines as the dominant paradigm. If we can create a great development
environment for touch, we'd have a good chance to really invent the future.
Graphic processor accelerated graphics are part of that. A rewrite of the
events infrastructure, both to simply the current mess and to add touch
support, is part of that.

Cheers,

Jeff

--