[Pharo-dev] missing updates: 30503 30504

Camillo Bruni camillobruni at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 13:05:21 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-21, at 18:41, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2013, at 3:08 PM, Camillo Bruni <camillobruni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What happened with those updates?
>
> there was a problem because the packages were dirty and we got a popup on the server….
> so we could not integrate simply their saved versions.
>
>> Why are there no images?
>
> see above.
> I could not understand (I could not find and edit the updates.list to remove them)
> This is not documented!!!!!!!!!!
>

>> If something like this happens, the git exporter needs to be properly reset,
>> otherwise we don't have consecutive numbers :/
>
> probably
> But there is no documentation (except what I wrote in ScriptLoader comment), so I cannot guess.

I just don't like that all of a sudden things go wild without an announcement, and
by chance I detect it, since I monitor all channels...

>> We really need to invest a couple of sprints in creating an integration UI,
>> ben and I started this 2 years ago and it lies dormant since then. The current
>> way is just too brittle…
>
> And we added more complexity to it.

The point is that the integration process is not automated.
It might be more complex now, but that's how far we can get with INRIA infrastructure.
So the only thing we can do, since we will never have direct access to the file server,
and I think this is better that way, is to automate the integration process as much as
possible.

As I said, we wrote a UI with ben together 2 years ago that does the whole integration
without relying one some written specification. It is fundamentally wrong to rely on
written description of processes (not to be confused with documentation). We script, we
write code, we do not read prose.

And the scriptloader comment is, and never was complete either, since it excluded the
interaction on the bug tracker. Issues have to be closed after integrating them, well
marcus did that job yesterday, but this has to be done automatically in the integration process.