[Pharo-dev] default monospaced code font

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 04:22:27 EDT 2013

On 16 October 2013 18:31, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 1:33 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 15 October 2013 18:36, Jimmie Houchin <jlhouchin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 10/15/2013 11:06 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>>
>>>  *From: *Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>

>>>  Indeed it is.  And moving from proportional to mono-spaced fonts is
>>> not progress, it is regress.

>>>  I didn't say it was.  I said that systems designed with a coherent
>>> aesthetics and philosophy are more coherent, powerful and comprehensible
>>> than those which are not.
>>>

>>>  yes, they are, I agree with that, and that's what we are trying to
>>> achieve... advancing one small step at a time, because we cannot doit all
>>> together, sadly.
>>> What I do not see is how proportional fonts fits more with a pharo
>>> coherence (which in my pov does not exists today) than a monospaced one.
>>>

>>> But the change is away from proportional to monospace. I think the sale
>>> must be made as to what does that actually buy us. How does this improve
>>> our experience, pharo coherence?
>>>
>>> It seems that many of us here don't believe that it provides that
>>> coherence of UI/UX that your hoping to move us towards.
>>>
>>> So when changing from what we have, it seems that it needs to
>>> demonstrated that the change is for the better and not neutral or worse.
>>>
>>> I personally don't buy the it is less foreign to non-Smalltalkers
>>> argument. non-Smalltalkers would just move their distaste of Smalltalk
>>> somewhere else. Why do we have to use the image? Why can't I use Emacs,
>>> vim, Eclipse? Its all very personal and sometimes very visceral.
>>>
>>> I have seen some visceral comments from Igor regarding Python. I could
>>> make some from the C++ I've been looking at.
>>>

>> ah.. python. yes, i hate their choice of using white space as part of
>> language syntax.
>> That is really retarded choice.
>>

> Slurring the off-side rule <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-side_rule>with "retarded" is simply childish.  I should declare that I knew and
> admired the inventor of the off-side rule, Peter Landin, for quite a few
> years at Queen Mary.  And a more intelligent man you couldn't hope to meet.
>  The off-side rule is a considered design, it is used by lots of languages,
> especially those in the functional tradition (e.g. Haskell and Curry), it
> is simple and elegant, and for people brought up in that tradition I'm sure
> it seems extremely natural.  Like Smalltalk, these languages are concise,
> having a minimal ammount of supporting syntax for declarations.  The
> off-side rule means no open and close braces, and what a field of
> disagreement over code aesthetics that eliminates.
>
> "retarded"? Come on, how about some thought and criticism?
>
> I simply don't like it. Don't treat my criticism as a constructive one. It
is emotional :)
>From other side, imagine that i invent rule that you should terminate
statements not with period,
but with white space (lets say tab). I bet, i will find some followers in
the world, who will praise my
design choice as extremely natural :)

>> And actually the roots of my disdain of it is same why i prefer
>> i like text, where white space is variable and not fixed, and used to
>> make the text more readable,
>> and ergonomically fit within its boundaries (like in newspaper column).
>>

> But that doesn't militate against the off-side rule (which doesn't have to
> be based on space count, or assuming tab with is 8, or..., simply needs to
> be based on the clear appearance of indentation, and there are presumably
> implementation choices there).

the bad thing about it that without special support in editors/tools it is
going to be broken.
just for experiment try to copy and paste python code into html and see if
you can read it (and don't tell me that i should put it into <pre> tag).

It is again, because in writing, white space was invented to separate
words, not letters or statements or something else. For other things there
is punctuation.
So, as long as we're talking about text (be it source code or not), i
prefer that such rule is persisted,
and if we're talking about diagrams or some other variants of visual
programming (like in sketch),
i don't care.

--
Best regards,