[Pharo-dev] default monospaced code font

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at stfx.eu
Tue Oct 15 10:52:36 EDT 2013

On 15 Oct 2013, at 16:35, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com> wrote:

> except that it is not accurate :)
>
> - with a monospace you can have bolds and italic without problems (it is a decent one)... and you also can play with sizes (for example, for comments)
> - when you copy&paste you will lose part of your formatting no matter if you have a fixed font or a proportional one  (is not true that you lose all of them... in fact I usually do not lose any)

Sorry, but there are no sensible arguments in favour of a monospaced font. It is just not needed (in Smalltalk). Another way to look at it is: 99.99 % of the world use proportional fonts.

BTW, I think whoever made this 'decision' knew it would be _very_ hard to get this passed ;-)

Maybe we should switch to C/Java/Javascript syntax so that we do not scare newcomers ? Sorry, I could not resist.