[Pharo-dev] Fix Review Needed - Slice query - was Re: bug: [4993] Typing cmd+L cancel all typing and we can't undo it [Terminated]

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Sun Oct 13 15:06:23 EDT 2013

On Oct 13, 2013, at 6:36 PM, btc at openinworld.com wrote:

> As I reviewed the Slice <Changes> related to Case 4993, I notice the relevant part was only a single method, but also included were several more unrelated modifications with zero-sum refactorings.  eg, from...
> position: aPoint
>   super position: aPoint.
>   self viewBox ifNotNil: [self viewBox: (aPoint extent: self viewBox extent)].
>
> to...
> position: aPoint
>   super position: aPoint.
>   self viewBox ifNotNil: [:viewBox | self viewBox: (aPoint extent:  viewBox extent)].
>
> which itself is cool, but my first thought was that these shouldn't have been included in the Case 4993 Slice, but in a separate Slice for a different Case that dealt just with those refactorings.  But thinking further in general the image I use for testing could have moved on from the image used to generate that Slice.  So maybe its not not such a problem anyhow?
> Also, if the zero-sum refactoring modifications were put in their own separate Slice, then probably the specific modifications related to the Case would build upon that, so ultimately you end up with the same situation.
>
> So in short my question is, how much do you typically separate out Case-specific modifications from incidental zero-sum refactoring made along the way.

In theory: yes. In practice: just too much work. I often slip in small refactorings with other changes (and code deletions… nothing works less than asking "There is this obscure feature
that nobody used in 20 years, can I remove it?" The answer always will be "Wow, this is cool, over my dead body!". If people would know what I removed over the years… ;-)

	Marcus