[Pharo-dev] Start with a trivial improvement!

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
Sat Oct 12 01:07:30 EDT 2013

On Oct 10, 2013, at 2:22 PM, kilon <thekilon at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> This is something I was contemplating lately for my project Ephestos. The
> problem I see with your approach is that it takes a long time to see those
> changes integrated into Pharo cause AFAIK there are not many people to check
> out those "fixes" approve them and then integrate them. Now multiple that by
> 1000. Yeah right !
>
> So I decided to follow the external library route. My initial concern about
> my project was that I want a better Morphic. Now the sensible start would be
> to do what you suggested, start small , fix morphic problems here and there,
> tiny clean ups to the code etc. But I realised that if someone pings me back
> months later about a fix he does not like and I am way forward in the
> development process that could seriously mess with my code and even make it
> hard to change the fix.
>
> So it was a great news indeed that morphic is entirely (or almost entirely
> ?) written in smalltalk. I am back at studying opengl since I want to make
> an opengl implementation of moprhic , but also I would also like to get rid
> of things I dont like about morphic.  Making it into an external lib also
> makes sure I dont brake people's code but also I am tied into things I dont
> like and need the approval of the community to fix.
>
> So yes I agree that what you say sounds ideal in theory, but its not ideal
> in practice.

but we are not talk ing about theory. if nobody take care about little glitches them you will
have a house full of little borken glasses and dirt everywhere. And I do not work to live there.
My house is cosy warm and really cool and everyday I clean it. I fix a door handle as soon
as I see it having a problem not waiting that the door falls on the floor.