[Pharo-dev] is there a new inspector version for dictionary

Marcus Denker marcus.denker at inria.fr
Sun Oct 6 15:21:53 EDT 2013

On Oct 6, 2013, at 8:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:

> Hi
>
> the old inspector defined a hierarchy of specialized inspector and I was giving a lecture to serious programmers :)
> and I noticed that they were confused by the inspector when opening dictionary because we see the dictionary state.

The new ones make this explicit: the menu on the top always lets you select the inspector.
There always
	-> basic
	-> tree (explorer)

and more if there is one. Now a class can define the default to be a different one that the basic.
An example for that are collections.

e.g. inspect

	Smalltalk globals

	World

	1

	FileSystem workingDirectory

So for a Dictionary, you see key->value by default, but you can always jump to the basic inspector
if needed.

the only thing that is a bit confusing is that it show "class" and "self" in the basic inspector, but
that very useful to have. (and technically class is a field in the object via the object header ;-)

	Marcus