[Pharo-dev] Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Nick Ager nick.ager at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 05:51:12 EDT 2013

Hi,

I managed to compile a StackVM on the raspberry Pi - a couple of months ago
- though I haven't tried with the latest StackVM source. I meant to write
it up, but life got in the way I'm afraid.

The procedure I took was:
* From a PC running Pharo install VMMaker packages (I found it was easiest
to run under a Linux (eg Ubuntu) to match the PIs OS.
* Export the StackVM source
* Install the build tools on the raspberry Pi
* Copy exported StackVM source (need to ensure it is copied to exactly the
same place, eg /home/nick/build)
* Build and test with Pharo2.0.image

I choose to build on the Raspberry Pi as in my experience setting up a
reliable cross-compiling environment can take days.

Here are some notes I made at the time:

On the raspberry PI:
# install build tools
sudo apt-get install gcc g++ cmake

# dependencies for vm plugins
sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev

sudo apt-get install build-essential

# to fix:
# /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSM
#/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lICE
# create the following links in: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/

sudo ln -s libSM.so.6 libSM.so
sudo ln -s libICE.so.6 libICE.so

Once the source is installed:

chmod +x platforms/unix/config/version
chmod +x platforms/unix/config/verstamp

At the time I had to patch a couple of files, but that might have changed
with later versions of the StackVM source. My notes say I modified the
following, though don't indicate what I changed:

platforms/Cross/vm/sqAtomicOps.h
platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixITimerHeartbeat.c
platforms/unix/vm/vmVersionInfo.h
src/vm/gcc3x-interp.c

Hope this helps

Nick