[Pharo-dev] [ANN] Pharo Launcher
damien.cassou at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 04:11:36 EDT 2013
Erwan and I are proud to announce the first release of the Pharo
Launcher, a cross-platform application that
- lets you manage your Pharo images (launch, rename, copy and delete);
- lets you download image templates (i.e., zip archives) from many
different sources (Jenkins, files.pharo.org, and your local cache);
- lets you create new images from any template.
A screenshot is attached to this email.
The idea behind the Pharo Launcher is that you should be able to
access it very rapidly from your OS application launcher. As a result,
launching any image is never more than 3 clicks away.
Please report bugs on the 'Launcher' project at https://pharo.fogbugz.org
You can contribute to this project. All classes and most methods are
commented. There are unit tests. Please contribute!
Source code: http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/PharoLauncher
Things you can do to improve the system:
- check if a template is already downloaded before downloading it
- add a preference mechanism (for, e.g., quit after launch, definition
of your own template groups, location of downloaded templates and
- put the launcher in the Pharo Ubuntu package so that the launcher
becomes a registered appliation of the system
- make sure the pharo launcher does not load your personal scripts
(like fonts and MC configuration)
- add a toolbar to enhance the discoverability of the features
(currently everything is in contextual menus)
- make sure rename and copy actions propose default values
- make sure no debugger pops up when a user press cancels or enter an
- propose multiple kinds of sorting (last used, most frequently used,
alphabetically on the name)
- give some information about each template (build date, pharo version)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 127127 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Pharo-dev