[Pharo-project] Roassal Survey

Ciprian Teodorov ciprian.teodorov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:49:20 EDT 2012

Hello everybody,

During the weekend I had a look at the Roassal project and I found it very
good. Moreover I find that asking around the community for good ideas to
drive the future of the project a cool initiative.

About that, I completely agree with Ben's first 3 directions. Other cool
ideas in terms of ergonomy can be found in the
Yed<http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yed_about.html>graph drawing
tool.

>From my experience working on computer-aided design tools for the
electrical (electronical) industry i can say that one very important
feature that these kind of tools need is the ability to create/edit large
hierarchical graphs. From my perspective a electrical circuit is nothing
more than a large graph of interconnected elements with each node
representing a physical device. Hierarchical composition of such structures
is necessary to ease the understanding of the system. In consequence IMHO
being able to easily dive-in and get-out of hierarchical components is the
most important feature that Roassal is missing right now. Just imagine
looking at a layed-out graph of ten interconnected nodes, then just by
clicking on one of these nodes the view is replaced by another graph
representing the inner components. Furthermore I believe that such an
approach can be abstracted away to more complex interactions (opening a
view with an editor window on that particular instance of the node, etc).

Another feature that I think it is missing in most (if not all) graph
viewers/layout systems/editors is the possibility to have connection ports
on the hierarchical nodes in order to preserve the connections passing
through the hierarchy.

some pointers:

http://www.slideshare.net/teodorov/tools-and-crossbarbased-nanocmos-architectures

http://stiff.univ-brest.fr/~cteodorov/manuscript-teodorov_FINAL.pdf