[Pharo-project] How to create a basic OS for the Raspberry Pi - VM+Pharo on top?

Javier Pimás elpochodelagente at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 15:40:05 EDT 2012

Hi!
    I'm not sure if the idea is to have a pharo running on a simple OS on
top of a raspbpi, which would be equivalent to have pharo on ARM (I think),
or to have pharo running as the OS on top of it, as SqueakNOS.

In the latter case, it is surely possible. But beware, it can be some tough
work to get it running, maybe not that difficult but a lot of work.
Actually, SqueakNOS was not compiled with the StackVM but the old
interpreter. There are two things that would be needed to make it work in
the StackVM or Cog (jit is not the problem):

- Makefiles for the platform are handmade, so it might require to convert
to cmake to use the stackvm.
- There are some features brought by the OS used by the stack vm and cog,
which should be worked around, I can't remember exactly which ones.

To make it work on top of raspberrypi you'd need to add to the list:
- Writing support for some of the base devices
- Merging it into arm platform

As I previously said, the biggest barrier is (I think) that it needs some
work, which takes time, but not the difficulty. So if someone is interested
and wants to work on this, I'd be glad to guide him.

Cheers,
Javier.

--
Lic. Javier Pimás