[Pharo-project] Morpheas , bringing Morphic to Opengl (3d GUIs)

dimitris chloupis thekilon at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 08:00:04 EST 2012

I have started my first project with Pharo (and hopefully Squeak too) called "Ephestos" .

http://www.squeaksource.com/ephestos.html

Ephestos is divided into 3 areas/ elements / concepts : a) Morpheas b) Proteas c) Orpheas

Morpheas is an effort to bring Morphic to OpenGL and to implement 3d guis , that can be designed in blender ( probably will implement a addon exporter too from blender to Pharo) and deployed in Pharo , minimising coding and maximising ease of use, since a 3d gui can be fairly complex to program.

The reason why I am posting here is for your help. I am very new to Pharo and smalltalk and Ephestos is an extremely ambitious project which I hope to be commited for at least the next 5-6 years which I plan to release version 1.

My first rule is of course , because the project is already very ambitious, "code reuse". I want to be informed what efforts there have been towards that direction .

Mr Stef published recently a great PDF document  titled "Pharo's Vision : Goals , Processes and Development effort" in it there is the following quote about Morphic

"What have been done so far. Igor Stasenko did the following:
• Designed and implemented a new canvas API and all the necessary abstractions
to generate adequate code for different backends.
• Deep integration to be able to inject frames into existing VMstructure (Igor
can you confirmthis?)
• Designed and implemented a new textMorph, paragraph and other classes.
• Defined a default back-end.
• Defined a Cairo back-end.
• Defined an openGL back-end (using an OpenGL calling framework). "

So I guess my question should be directed towards Igor, but maybe someone else also works in this. I am interested in any information about Morphic and OpenGL . I am also interested even on partial support of graphics engine like Irrlicht , Ogre and Open Cobalt.

My main focuse is Nativeboost cause it appear to have a new enhance FFI, and of course the possibility of inline Assembly code.

Has anyone , advice , suggestions , ideas and hopefully some documentation I can use  ?

I am already studying both OpenGL and Nativeboost / NBOpenGL .