[Pharo-project] MCWorkingCopy>>#uniqueVersionName

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 00:53:51 EST 2012

>> Would it not be possible to assign the version name based on local, best effort knowledge alone and deal with possible conflicts afterwards (there is the ancestory) ?
>
> to me that would make more sense.
>
> - Is it necessary that the version name is globally unique? I doubt so.
> - Having it unique per repository should be enough, no?

Ironically this proposition would make some Monticello operations
slower, because Monticello will need to download and open all versions
with the same name to figure out if the ancestry matches.

Furthermore, this would subtly break many tools, because most of them
do not look at the ancestry but only at the filename (again to make it
fast).

Last but not least, the proposal will annoy people that want to
integrate changes and that cannot because a file with that name is
already in their repository.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli