[Pharo-project] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Philippe Marschall kustos at gmx.net
Sun Jan 29 12:48:59 EST 2012

On 29.01.2012 17:02, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2012, at 15:30, Philippe Marschall wrote:
>
>>> As for scale.. monticello scales well.
>>
>> No, it does not.
>
> Please elaborate: I really can't see the difference between doing a merge (either an easy one or a more diffucult one over multiple files, spread over a couple of days, with intervening changes by others) using either Monticello or Git.

The scalability limits of Monticello are well understood. PackageInfo
doesn't scale, at all. You put too many classes in a package, and
snapshotting gets really slow. Don't believe me? Make a change in
Morphic which has only 200 classes and save it.

And it's not like loading is any faster. Seaside takes 10 minutes to
build from locally cached [1] packages, only 12 seconds go to running
tests [2]. This makes C++ compilation times seem fast by comparison.

  [1] http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.1/buildTimeTrend
  [2]
http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Seaside%203.1/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/

Cheers