[Pharo-project] Smalltalk for small projects only?

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Sun Jan 29 11:02:51 EST 2012

On 29 Jan 2012, at 15:30, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> As for scale.. monticello scales well.
>
> No, it does not.

Please elaborate: I really can't see the difference between doing a merge (either an easy one or a more diffucult one over multiple files, spread over a couple of days, with intervening changes by others) using either Monticello or Git.

Yes, git has a bit more tools, is a bit more modern, has a lot more usage and polish, but fundamentally I see little difference. The merge will be hard in both cases. All (big) teams struggle here.

BTW: try understanding git internals, let alone try contributing to it, with Monticello you can: it is all Smalltalk.

Again, I am not saying that MC has no flaws, or that we can't or should learn from others and improve, far from it, but the grass in not greener on the other side.

Sven

PS: one of the things that we should take from git, as many others have said on this list, is selective commits.