[Pharo-project] [Smalltalk for small projects only?

Philippe Marschall kustos at gmx.net
Sun Jan 29 10:09:26 EST 2012

On 28.01.2012 21:16, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Dale,
>
> I agree with you that source code management is where we are weak. A
> process therefore, as James already said.
>
> In SCM  VisualWorks is ahead in my opinion, even that Store is also not
> perfect yet. But it would be useful to reuse some of ideas in Monticello
> based SCM tools too. With Metacello we got a good packaging tool, so,
> where to go to be even better? I think SCM tool integration into code
> browser can be next and relatively easy step. As Store is integrated
> into VW code browser.

Wow, Store. Did you know that Store is so bad that some of the biggest
Cincom success stories paid a really huge, undisclosed sum so that they
don't have to use it?

If something cries 1995 then it's handing a SQL connection to the
client. Your "interface" is the database schema. It ties the database
schema to the client. You change the schema and you have to update all
of the clients unless you "fake" the old schema with updatable views (if
your RDBMS even supports this) and give the changed tables new names.

Also security becomes more or less impossible to do. Once you have write
access to the public Store repository you can more or less do anything
you want to do on any project unless implement it using triggers. And
then there are all the possible DoS attacks like SELECT FOR UPDATE.

Cheers
Philippe