[Pharo-project] [Event related] Character vs Keys

Fernando Olivero fernando.olivero at usi.ch
Tue Jan 24 17:54:15 EST 2012

YES! the keyboard events handling is a mess that should be rethought
and simplified.

I've recently played with Cocoa, and created a windowed app, that
captures events and sends them to a pharo image via sockets. so i
learned how is done in COCOA. In Cocoa, there are 3 key events:

NSKeyDown: The user generated a character or characters by pressing a key.
NSKeyUp: The user released a key. This event is always preceded by a
NSKeyDown event.
NSFlagsChanged: The user pressed or released a modifier key, or turned
Caps Lock on or off.

"When the type of an event is NSKeyDown, the next step is typically to
get the characters generated by the key-down using the characters
method."

I think the COCOA VM, should simply forward this events to the image.
Esteban, would this be possible?

The three are enough, to preserve all the current behavior  of Morphic.

In short, the VM should omit keyChar keyboard events, and start
announcing non-characters pressed or released events.

Fernando