[Pharo-project] is there a way to avoid all the #tryNamedPrimitive:with: * in ProtoObject

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:54:34 EST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.ducasse at inria.fr
> wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
> > Hi guys. I usually like to take a look to ProtoObject and see what is
> really needed for the minimal object. But having 30% of the methods being
>  #tryNamedPrimitive:with: *  is not fun.
>
> what are these?

They look like a hack to simulate named primitives from the debugger, but I
am not sure at all.

I am just wondering...couldn't such compiled methods be compiled at
runtime? say I use a String stream with a loop of arguments size and I
build the string and then I get a CompiledMethod from it (kind of
#compileSilently:. I guess it would be slower, but on the other hand I save
the #lookupSelector:
would that work?  is it important the speed here? because I don't really
know what these methods are used for exactly ;)

Cheers