[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Steve Taylor stephen.taylor at bom.gov.au
Mon Jan 16 19:57:22 EST 2012

On 17/01/12 09:43, Frank Shearar wrote:

> I've been biting my tongue for a while now in this thread. Please
> don't take this the wrong way, we're all interested in the same
> wonderful language and environment, and so on.

Compulsory disclaimer: I love Smalltalk. I used to write it for a living
and those were wonderful times. I still keep half an eye on it at the
hobbyist level, and wish I could find a way to use it seriously again.
If Smalltalk and a puppy were drowning I wouldn't know which to save first.

> But.

Yeah.

> I've seen just about every time someone joins a Smalltalk community
> and dares to suggest that they've had enjoyable experiences with FOO,
> the Smalltalk community forms a laager (I think Americans would call
> this "circle the wagons!"), with statements like "you lack
> imagination" or "when you get it" or whatever.

For some strange reason - maybe a character defect - I seem always to
have got interested in things which have a bit of a marginal life -
Smalltalk, Macromedia Director, Blender...

One thing the user communities for these tools all have in common is
that they circle the wagons/man the barricades/whatever and defend their
chosen tools against any outside comparisons. It's understandable that
people defend what they love, but it's no way to grow.

> [...] We should be HAPPY about this! We should
> carefully examine new things, and learn new languages, so that we can
> _pillage these ideas_.

+100

> frank

                           Steve