[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Sun Jan 15 06:11:38 EST 2012

Hi Andreas,

>you are always writing "Smalltalk IDE". Which Smalltalk variants do you know? Squeak and Pharo are not the only ones. There >are some others, some commercial and some free.
>If you haven't any experiences with them yet you should at least have a look at them.

I have looked at Squeak, Pharo, Dolphin, VisualWorks, and VA. I am generalizing, because they all have the things that I find problematic. I also looked at GNU, but I don't like the whole GNU license thing very much. The one that comes the closest to what I'm thinking about is something called Smalltalk XY (not Smalltalk/X), but it is no longer maintained. I am more than happy to learn. Are there any others I should check out?

Thanks,
Gerry