[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Gerry Weaver gerryw at compvia.com
Sun Jan 15 05:16:16 EST 2012

Hi Lawson,

>Ironically, almost every newbie smalltalk programmer I know LIKES the IDE and thinks it is better than anything out there.

I think this would largely depend on your background and experience. There is a whole class of developers that refuse to use anything, but vi and emacs. Once they realize that Smalltalk forces them to use a GUI, they will run away fast.

>BTW, if you want to see how smalltalk can be used as an embedded language, like at f-script... whose IDE, which everyone >who uses it, loves, is very much a standard smalltalk IDE.

I'm not saying that the current IDE shouldn't exist. I just think that it should be decoupled from the image in such a way to make it reasonably easy to create alternatives. People that are coming from a systems level programming background are used to holding the details of their applications in their head. Being able to see the code at the class level works better with that approach. If you have worked that way for a while, the Smalltalk IDE feels extremely tedious to say the least. It's like trying to run when you're waist deep in water.

Thanks,
Gerry