[Pharo-project] Design change possible with fast SSD's possible?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Sat Jan 14 09:50:57 EST 2012

Slightly of topic: I won't be surprised if one actually come out with a
solution similar to L1, L2 etc caches in CPU vs.outside RAM. CPU cache
is namelly several times faster tham RAM. While mechanical disks were
several 1000 times slower than RAM. Until now when SSDs are aproaching
the speed of RAM.

Conclusion? Why RAM won't be just a L3 cache in a whole hiearchy of
caching from SSD up to CPU? Automatic, supported by OS or even hardware,
as CPU caches are? Then image wont be needed to be read to RAM and
snapshoted back to disk, it can be run directly from disk.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko