[Pharo-project] New IDE alternative (was Misc. newbie questions)

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Thu Jan 12 04:48:50 EST 2012

Hi Gerry:

On 12 Jan 2012, at 10:13, Gerry Weaver wrote:

> I've been thinking about the idea of an alternate IDE quite a bit. What I'm envisioning would be something akin to the Delphi IDE. Delphi is probably the most productive gui based environment I've ever worked in.

Could you point me to screenshots?
Because I fear that you are talking about what I used to know as Borland Delphi.(http://www.blichmann.de/en/programming/delphi/themeddelphi/luna.png)
Not that it is bad, but like Visual Studio and Eclipse, the main concepts are IMO as dated as what you got in Pharo.

If you are just looking for a UI designer, have you seen this? https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/designer

I would rather be interested in a 'more fluid' version of Hopscotch:
http://bracha.org/hopscotch-wasdett.pdf

Did not find a good demo without digging to much (there is one somewhere on youtube)
but maybe this is already close enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gGJ2y0BNkpc#t=1536s

Best regards
Stefan

--