[Pharo-project] DateAndTime, timezones and Fuel

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 06:41:35 EST 2012

Hi guys. I have a simple question. When we are serializing DateAndTime with
fuel, we serialize its 4 instance variables: 'seconds offset jdn nanos'.
And then, during materialization, we recreate them. I know that all
instances of DateAndTime have their instVar 'offset' pointing to the local
timezone offset, that is, DateAndTime localTimeZone offset.  In fuel,
during materialization, we recreate those offsets. So all materialized
instances of DateAndTime will have their own (different) instance of
Duration in the slot 'offset'.  On the one hand, I think this is necessary
becase you can materialize in a different image with different time zone,
so having the timezone is mandatory. What I don't know, and this is the
question, is if the timezone is the same between serialization and
materialization image, MUST all materializated DateAndTime point to the
same offset?   or it is just an optimization that they all point to the
same?

Thanks in advance,

--
Mariano