[Pharo-project] glamour and pharo

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 17:56:02 EST 2012

> To you, the current Pharo image is the Pharo Core and you are unhappy that it is too big (for example because RB is there).

The size is the least problem.

More annoying is that the code quickly gets out of sync and
non-changes are added to the history. Both of these problems are
already visible today.

Additionally, over time people will change/add/remove features that
get integrated without proper review. I just had a look at the
announcement framework in Pharo 1.4 today, it is unbelievable how a
tiny framework could degrade to a bloated, untested and dead slow pile
of mud in just a few years :-(

Moreover, every generic framework included with the core will sooner
or later introduce dependencies from random core packages. This only
makes it harder to have a modular system. And people that want to use
another refactoring engine (or another version thereof) are excluded,
because existing code depends on the included version. Again look at
where the announcements are used and how people work around to use
their own implementation.

> p.s. I am happy that the competition pushes OB to get trees and resizable panes :)

OB does not intend to compete with Glamour. OB only aims at a tiny
subset of what Glamour tries to solve.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli