[Pharo-project] Pharo VMs should be more Pharo-like

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Tue Nov 29 08:28:29 EST 2011

EstebanLM wrote

> All agree? Should I create a ticket?

+1. All the little things make a difference, especially to newbies that may
have misconceptions/doubts about Smalltalk.

EstebanLM wrote

> pd: I'm the only one who does not likes One-Click versions? I would prefer
> a different package for each platform (Is ugly to have a directory named
> Pharo.app in linux or windows. Also, no need to have all those
> duplicated-but-for-different-platform files)

I think they are both valuable. For me, the one-click is great to showcase
Smalltalk's ability to run on any mainstream OS. I think the idea that in
one operation I can drag my Smalltalk world onto a USB stick, plug it into
any computer I may find, and have everything work is pretty cool. OTOH, for
a dedicated use, like a web app on a unix server, the cleaner
platform-specific approach seems better.