[Pharo-project] changes with announcements ?

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 10:25:47 EDT 2011

i checked what happens there with Cyrille.

First, an announcement announced
and handler then starts exporting model to file, showing a progress bar.

but displaying a progress bar using exceptions mechanism.
That's why when you see a progress bar while exporting, it means that
it already runs in forked process..

BTW.  The implementation of progress bars are so confusing..
every time i trying to understand what goes where, i got lost.

As to me , this looks a bit of abuse of announcements, since handling
of announcement should be short
(but not so complex and long as exporting model to file).
I think in this case it could simply capture the request and then
schedule export action using
WorldState deferUIMessage: []
(or run via UIManager somehow)

like that you will release an announcer early, making sure that your
export process runs in right place (in UI process),
and not interferes with announcer.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.